Let’s be honest, some days at work are just worse than others. Maybe you didn’t sleep well, or that caffeine headache just won’t go away no matter how many cups of coffee you’ve had. Here are some great tips for staying focused at work:
- Eat strategically—Eating a balance of carbohydrates and proteins; leafy greens for vitamin B and vitamin K, which improve focus and brain function
- Walk around—Walk to the furthest bathroom in the office, or just take a lap down the hall. Moving around is never bad for you!
- Balance your projects—Once you start to feel the burnout on one assignment, save your progress and switch to a new one.
- Take a call outside—Even if it’s cloudy, being outside gives you a vitamin D boost and stimulates your brain. It’s always nice to have a change of scenery!
- Control your coffee intake—Surprisingly, there are better/worse times to consume caffeine. Drinking smaller doses throughout the day is much more effective than chugging a venti first thing in the morning.
When we think of the holidays, the last things we want to think about are the last-minute tasks and day-to-day work that must be completed leading up to them. With so much distraction, it’s hard to stay focused during these joyful months of the year. Here are some tips to keep you concentrated:
- Avoid distraction. The temptation to procrastinate can be even greater this time of year. An email from your favorite department store may pop up with a flash sale, or you might want to check out the prices of available flights for Christmas. It may seem harmless to take a break from work to focus on more pleasurable things, but this can have a massive impact on your overall performance.
- Focus on the right projects. The holidays are a great time to work on self-guided projects. If your office is a little slow, you may have the opportunity to research without worrying if anyone will ask you to pop into a meeting or answer an email ASAP. It’s easier to focus on these sorts of big-picture, long-term tasks when you know you’ll have the time you need to really dig in.
- Be thoughtful of your off hours as well. Another key to staying focused at work is trying to isolate your office tasks to office hours. One of the best ways to avoid distractions is to make sure you’re allowing yourself time to shop, plan, and do whatever else you need to do outside of the office.