October is National Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Put on your pink and head to the grocery store to add these six cancer fighting foods to your diet.
- Turmeric. Turmeric is a common spice that comes from the turmeric plant, which is grown India, other parts of Asia, and Central America. It contains the chemical curcumin, which has anti-inflammatory properties. You can add a dash of turmeric to rice to make a bright and colorful side dish.
- Green tea. Green tea has antioxidants that inhibit the growth of cancer cells. Researchers suggest that one cup of tea may become part of breast cancer treatment plans one day.
- Blueberries. Resveratrol, a compound found in blueberries, has properties that slow down breast cancer stem cell growth. Add them to your bowl of oatmeal for a healthy breakfast.
- Salmon. Salmon is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and is considered a low mercury fish.
- Spinach. Spinach has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Carotenoids and glycolipids are two compounds found in spinach that inhibit growth in breast cancer cells.
- Walnuts. Walnuts have the highest antioxidant activity found in all nuts that are commonly consumed in the United States. Research suggests that walnuts may help reduce tumor growth.
Share on Social Media