November is National Alzheimer’s Awareness Month. Here are five ways to keep your mind flexible and engaged!
- Get active. Get your heart rate up with some cardiovascular exercises that can increase blood flow to the brain and body.
- Open a book. Keep your brain working by learning new things, which is said to decrease chances of dementia. Join a book club, take a class at the local community center, research something of interest online.
- Fuel your mind. Eating a healthy, balanced diet can help lower the risks of cognitive decline. Diets that are lower in fat, higher in vegetables and incorporate more fish – which has omega-3 fatty acids that are crucial to brain function – will provide many benefits for your mind and body.
- Challenge your mind. Activate your mind with activities like putting together a puzzle or card games that will force your mind to think strategically.
- Focus on your mental health. Be aware of the stress in your life and learn how you can best manage it.
Share on Social Media