I don’t know about you, but the heat during this time of the year always makes the pool seem much more attractive. The glistening of the clear water, coupled with the relaxation it provides makes it a pool one popular addition to anybody’s home. However, even pools come with health concerns individuals should be aware of – especially public pools.
According to ABC News, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention linked a resilient parasite called Cryptosporidium to 90 outbreaks between 2011-2012, resulting in 1,788 illnesses, 95 hospitalizations and one death. The parasite causes acute gastrointestinal issues such as diarrhea and even has the ability to live in treated water for up to 10 days. So how can we prevent this parasite from entering our pools?
- Take a shower before entering the pool to remove bacteria and germs from your body.
- Have your pool inspected by the local health department.
- Buy your own chlorine test to see if your pool is properly treated.
And, most importantly, continue to stay safe this summer!
Share on Social Media